Blue Tree incorporates landscape lighting into many of the designs we create for our clients. Landscape by day can change dramatically by night. And the look you can achieve with outdoor lighting can range from dramatic to romantic to practical. So how do you decide?
Here’s a quick list of questions to consider when deciding on your lighting plan. If you need help deciding what look you want, call us! We’ll be happy to work with you on garden lights that fit your lifestyle and your budget.
Landscape Outdoor Lighting Checklist
- What is your objective in installing outdoor lighting? Do you want a dramatic, show stopping effect or do you need to provide a light source for dark areas of your property? Perhaps you want to incorporate some ambiance to your back deck, making it the perfect spot for a romantic al fresco dinner. Keep in mind that your plan might be different for different areas of your garden.
- How do you want to turn the lights on and off? Will you use a timer, or do you want to flip a switch?
- How much of your property are you interested in lighting? Do you want to illuminate your driveway and the walkways around your property? Would some up-lighting create a dramatic effect?
- Do you have an outdoor kitchen or dining space that requires special lighting? Work space lighting for the cook, with ambient lighting for the seating area?
- Do you have any security concerns that can be minimized by a lighting solution?
- Do you want to show off your hardscape elements, like retaining walls, steps or a pool deck? Lighting can be used to highlight these areas.
- Are you interested in minimizing your power usage? If so, low voltage landscape lighting might be the best solution.
- Do you want onlookers to see your light fixtures or just the effect of your lighting choices?
- Pointing lights up or down can create an interesting visual effect. Are there places in your landscape for these techniques?